Mobile Poker for Real Money in Michigan
As of 2020, you can legally enjoy real money online poker games in Michigan. When poker was last legal in the state (before the 2006 UIGEA laws), the iPhone had yet to be released. These days, all the big online poker sites have apps that optimize play for smaller screens. You can enjoy regular cash games — or try your hand at new and innovative forms of online poker.
This page has you covered for getting the best out of mobile poker sites in Michigan. Both iPhone/iPad users and those with Android phones or tablets are covered. Below you will learn about the sites, how to get the apps and what games work best in this format.
Download mobile poker apps in Michigan
To get the best available bonus when you install the poker apps, you need to follow our links via your mobile device and visit the websites. Those sites will know whether you are using Android or iOS, and offer you the correct app.
Apple users will be able to download the Michigan poker apps via the App Store.
If you are using Android, the app will come from the poker site. This is because Google has yet to catch up with state-regulated online gambling — and will not allow poker apps in its store. Note that you might need to click “OK” to allow a download from an “unknown source.”
You can register for an account via the apps. Each app has a short registration process that collects your name, address, email, date of birth and the last four digits of your Social Security number. This is cross-referenced with your date of birth to ensure you are 21 or older.
Poker app navigation and features
Some brands have stand-alone poker apps. Others, for example BetMGM, combine poker, casino games and sports betting into a single app.
The designs are different, though the core components of each poker app are the same. You can expect your balance and username, along with a burger menu for the sections of each site, at the top of each app. The main part of the screen will show the games and latest promotions or events.
Here are the sections of mobile poker apps:
- Game selection: Cash games, lottery sit and go tournaments and fast-fold poker are the most popular formats for mobile poker. Some apps also allow you to play tournaments. These will be set out in tiles. You can see an example of an easy seat finder on the PokerStars MI app. This has a green “Play Now” button. You set your buy-in levels, game preference and table size — then this automatically finds a table with an empty seat for you.
- Cashier: This is where you deposit and withdraw your winnings. Apps include the full functionality, so you will not need to go via a desktop to manage your finances. By clicking on the list of deposit options, you go to a screen where you input the amount to deposit and then follow the instructions for that option.
- Account information: You can view your account information along with your progress toward clearing bonuses in this section. You will also find details of progress toward the poker room loyalty program.
- Promotions: All Michigan poker sites run regular and one-off promotions. These change all the time, making it worthwhile to visit the promotions screen via your apps. As well as the specials/one-off promotions, you will find leaderboard contests and reload bonuses on most apps.
You will also find FAQs, contact information if you require customer service and links to information on responsible gambling via the app menus.
What mobile poker games can I play in Michigan?
You can enjoy cash games, lottery-style sit and go tournaments and fast-fold poker on your iPhone or Android device. While you can enter tournaments via some apps, this is not the best choice of poker format on the move. Even the fastest poker tournaments can take three-plus hours, which is a long time for the smaller screen size.
Here are the best games to play on mobile poker apps:
- Fast-fold poker: This format has a different name at each poker room. For example, at PokerStars it is called “Zoom Poker” and at WSOP.com it is “Snap Poker.” In cash games, you enter a pool of players at a chosen buy-in and table size. You immediately get put at a table and dealt into a hand, with blinds paid by the players who had the most hands since paying them. When you hit fold, you instantly start a new hand. You can fold before the action gets to you, speeding things up more. This allows you to play up to four times faster than regular cash games. It works on mobile devices as a substitute for playing four-plus tables at once.
- Lottery sit and gos: For a quick poker session while on the move, lottery sit and gos work perfectly. Again, the format is shared among apps, with the name differing depending on where you play. At Party Poker these are called “Spins,” while 888 Poker/WSOP.com call the format “Blast.” You pick a buy-in and enter three-handed super-fast games with shallow stacks. The twist is that the prize pool is only determined after you enter. This can be anything from 2x your buy-in to 10,000x.
- Cash games: Regular cash poker games are also available via mobile devices. Nine- and six-max tables are available everywhere, with some apps offering heads-up games, too. You can choose blind levels from 1 to 2 cents all the way to $10/$20+. Most cash games at MI poker rooms are no-limit Texas Hold ’em. Pot-limit Omaha is increasing in popularity, and also has a selection of mobile poker games.
Regular sit and go tournaments, fixed limit betting formats and mixed games may also be available. If you play on weekends or evenings early in the week, you will have the biggest selection of tables to choose from.
Biggest mobile poker sites coming to Michigan
Here are some of the biggest and best online poker rooms coming to Michigan:
- PokerStars: The biggest site worldwide, PokerStars has the best software for its apps of any room. Innovations include Spin and Go tournaments, Zoom Poker, and the option to play mobile poker with friends. PokerStars is expected to start the Michigan Championship of Online Poker tournament series soon. New players get a choice of $30 in tokens or a 100% up to $600 matched deposit bonus.
- Party Poker/BetMGM Poker: These brands are produced by the same company (GVC) and are expected to share players within Michigan. You can enjoy cash games, tournaments and the new “Spins” at this site. New players get $25 free without a deposit. This is split as $10 for cash games plus $15 in tournament tokens.
- WSOP.com Poker: Produced by 888, this poker app works smoothly on both iPhones and Android devices. You will find Snap poker (fast-fold) and Blast poker (lottery sit and gos) along with the usual formats. As well as a $10 no deposit bonus, WSOP offers the biggest welcome deal of any poker app. This is a 100% match on your first deposit up to $1,000.
Top mobile poker bonuses in Michigan
You can benefit from a lot of bonuses aimed at new players at Michigan poker sites. These include deals that offer free play without the need to make a deposit. Below are the most common bonuses you can access via the poker apps:
- No deposit poker bonuses: Get $10 to $25 in free play simply for signing up at the leading poker sites. These deals usually take the form of tokens for specific games and small cash game buy-ins. This type of offer is a great way to compare the apps, without the need to risk your own bankroll.
- Matched welcome bonuses: If you know you enjoy poker and want to maximize the amount of bonus cash you get, then matched offers are right for you. The typical deal is a 100% match on your first deposit, with the biggest offers being $1,000 or more. You will clear these bonuses by collecting points in the real money mobile poker games you play.
- Loyalty programs: All the mobile poker sites have loyalty plans. These are designed to reward regular play. Some are tiered, others link to the comp programs of the brick-and-mortar casinos that license the poker rooms.
- Regular promotions: You can enjoy leaderboard contests at many Michigan poker rooms. These are for different formats (cash, sit and go, tournaments) and split into different buy-ins. Other regular promotions include freeroll tournaments and reload bonuses.
You will also find special or one-off promotions, plus crossover deals with the sportsbook or casino apps associated with one of the poker brands.
Many players keep part of their total poker bankroll on hand to take advantage of different bonuses and promotions when they appear on the different apps.
Mobile poker in Michigan: Wrapping up
It was a long wait for poker to return in Michigan. Residents can now play legally and securely at a new breed of MI-only poker apps. Many of the biggest and best names in poker are teaming up with local live casinos to get online in 2020. They include iconic names like PokerStars, Party Poker and WSOP.com.
You can take advantage of bonuses at all of them. No deposit offers, plus matched welcome deals, give you the chance to decide which app suits you best. With innovative faster poker formats well-suited to mobile gaming, there has never been a better time to “shuffle up and deal.”
Michigan mobile poker sites: FAQ
Yes, HB 4311 was signed on the Dec. 19, 2019. This set up the licensing system for online poker and casino games. In 2020, the first licenses were issued to brick-and-mortar casinos, with online poker debuting in the fall.
To legally play online poker you need to be 21 or older and inside state lines. Note that there is no legal requirement to be a permanent resident of Michigan.
A big plus for regulated sites is that they need to prove the fairness of their games to the Michigan Gaming Control Board. Shuffles at online poker rooms are controlled by “random number generator” software. The big brands with mobile poker apps have dealt billions of hands, with statistical analysis proving that the games are fair.
Your money will be safe with these sites. If you have any complaint or dispute about payment, you can take this to the MGCB.
For the time being, you will only play against others from Michigan. There are ongoing legal efforts to clarify old laws, which would allow the sites to pool players from other states. The only shared pool is WSOP.com/888 Poker, which shares players between Nevada and New Jersey.
When these shared pools are available, the bigger tournaments and better choice of cash game formats will be a big boost for players.
Making a poker app deposit is the same as making any online purchase. Some players are happy to use their regular credit card or debit card, others prefer the added security of a third-party payment system or a bank transfer. You can manage deposits and withdrawals via the mobile poker apps, with no need to use a desktop for financial transactions.
Here are the key deposit options. Visa, Mastercard, Amex or Discover cards (credit or debit), PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, e-checks (ACH transfers), bill pay, bank wires, money order/cashier’s check, PayNearMe, branded debit cards or even cash at the casino cage.
A risk with mobile poker is that you will lose signal while playing. There is little danger if this is a short disconnection. Poker rooms give you time to reconnect, plus a time bank of your own. Unless you disconnect after putting chips into the pot, the only danger is that a good hand will be folded.
In a tournament or sit and go, you will continue to pay blinds and antes until you reconnect. In a cash game you will simply sit out — and will lose your seat after a couple of orbits at the table.