PokerStars became the first regulated online poker room to launch under license from the Michigan Gaming Control Board when it went live in January, 2021.
Arguably the biggest name name in online poker, PokerStars cutting edge software is considered the best by poker fans the world over. Games available in Michigan include tournaments, cash games, many poker game variants plus fast-paced games like Zoom and Spin N Go poker.
This page has you covered to get you started at PokerStars in Michigan. We have information on the bonuses, games and banking methods all covered below.
PokerStars first deposit bonus
You will have a choice of two different welcome bonus offers when you sign up to PokerStars in Michigan. Both of them require at least a small deposit.
Here are your options:
A Total Of $30 In Free Play: To enjoy the first of the bonuses, you need to make an initial deposit of $20 or more using bonus code FREE30. You will now be awarded $30, some in cash, the rest in tournament tickets. Here is exactly how the bonus works:
- A depositor freeroll ticket will be awarded instantly.
- Within 36 hours of making that initial deposit, you will be awarded $10 in bonus cash.
- On day one, you get three $1 Spin and Go Tickets.
- On day two, you get a single $2 Spin and Go Ticket.
- On day three, you get a single $5 Spin and Go Ticket.
- Seven days after that initial deposit, you will receive $10 more in bonus cash.
All of the tickets will have to be used within 60 days or they will be forfeited. This first bonus is aimed at recreational players. It gives you a chance to try out some of the entertaining and fast-paced poker formats.
A 100% Deposit Bonus Up To $600: The other deposit option is to receive a 100% deposit bonus. To qualify you need to make an initial deposit of $10 or more with bonus code STARS600. The deposit amount will be matched in bonus funds up to an impressive $600.
Once you start playing for real money, the bonus will be cleared at a rate of $10 for every 140 redemption points you earn. These are earned when you pay any rake or tournament fees. Players will have three months to clear those bonus funds.
This second welcome bonus is aimed at the more serious poker player, designed to offer a larger-sized bonus if you sign up and play regularly at the site. You can deposit up to three times using this bonus code, or take the whole $600 bonus in one go.
PokerStars bonus code
|Online Poker||PokerStars Bonus Code|
|Bonus Code||FREE30, STARS600|
|Deposit Bonus||$30 free play with $20 deposit or 100% deposit match up to $600|
|Last Updated||May 2021|
Other bonuses and promotions at PokerStars
- Multi-Table Tournament Leaderboards: Any time you play in a tournament and finish in the top 15%, you will be awarded Tournament Leaderboard points (TLB). You are then added to the monthly leader board, with the top players at the end of the month receiving a cash bonus. All prizes are paid in tournament dollars, effectively giving free entry into a range of events.
- Challenges: Head to the Challenges window to enjoy some extra bonus action. Occasionally, you will find other promotions and rewards based around the Stars Reward program in Challenges. For example, the Stars Reward Showdown, where you are awarded two cards in a chest when playing for real money. You take these two cards to showdown and compete against other hands to win large cash prizes.
- Cardex: In this popular promotion you will see a spinning device known as the Cardex. This will reveal a card value and a color (for example, a red ace). Win a hand containing this card among your two hole cards and the Cardex will reveal the next card. Win hands with all five revealed cards and you will win an instant cash prize.
There are plenty of one-off promotions, reload bonuses and crossover promotions with other gambling areas at Poker Stars. These will often tie-in with big tournament events such as the Michigan Championship of Online Poker (MCOOP) and MicroMillions.
PokerStars loyalty program
The Stars Rewards program a loyalty scheme for anyone who plays for real money at PokerStars. Every time you play, you earn reward points which you can monitor via the on-screen progress bar. Fill the bar and you win a treasure chest. Inside the chest are a variety of prizes tailored completely to you. For example, you could win tournament tickets for the games you play regularly, instant cash bonuses and more.
There are six levels of Stars Rewards, each bringing its own colored chest: Blue, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond and Black. You start at level one, where you can win blue chests. Open 10 chests in a month and you will level up, where bigger rewards await every time you open a chest. If you do not open a single chest in a month, you will move one level down.
Stars Rewards program is different from point-collection based comp schemes of other Michigan poker rooms. Each personalized chest can offer a range of different-sized prizes. For example, the value of a blue chest can be between 25 cents and $5, while the black chest offers rewards of between $35 and $700.
How to download the PokerStars app
You can enjoy PokerStars on the go with your iOS or Android devices. Play the full range of games available, with added quick-seat options, designed for both phones and tablets. Also, you can also download the PokerStars TV app for all of the live-action streamed to your device, as well as a PokerStars clock, for use when playing your home games.
Poker variations at PokerStars
PokerStars has built an excellent reputation over the years for offering the best in standard poker variants. They are also at the forefront of the more innovative new games on offer.
Here is a detailed rundown of the game range offered at Poker Stars in Michigan.
Real money cash games
On entering the PokerStars lobby you will find a long list of cash tables. The site is designed to be the ideal location for both the beginning player and the pros. Stakes start at just 1 cent and 2 cents, ranging up to $25 and $50. PokerStars is the single largest site in the regulated states. This means tables fill up quicker and more poker formats (PLO, mixed games and so on) are available than at many rival online poker rooms.
Zoom is PokerStars’ fast-fold form of poker. Enter these games and the moment you are not involved in a hand anymore, you are immediately moved to another table and facing a new set of opponents. With Zoom, you can play many more hands in an hour than usual; however, reads can become more difficult to come by.
Sit & Go tournaments (SNGs)
Like the cash tables, PokerStars caters to sit-and-go players of all levels. Whether playing for micro-stakes or big money, there are sit-and-go tables open for everyone. These single-table tournaments (there are a small number of multi-table sit and go options available) start the moment the table is full. These games are often used for satellites into bigger buy-in online tournaments.
Spin and Go
Spin and Go tournaments are super-fast sit and go games with random prize pools. They offer players the chance to win jackpot-sized prizes. These are fast-paced, hyper-turbo tournaments featuring just three players. The prize fund is randomly awarded at the start, with the opportunity to win between two times and 1,000 times your initial buy-in.
Multi table tournaments (MTTs)
The tournament schedule is very busy at PokerStars, with every type of tournament you can think of. Many will look immediately to the Sunday headline events and either buy-in direct or aim to qualify through the many satellites available.
In addition to these regular Sunday events, PokerStars also run poker tournament events. Many players will look forward to the first Michigan Championship of Online Poker. There are also small-stakes tournament events, ones that focus on turbo tournaments, as well as qualifiers to live events.
Deposit and withdrawal options at PokerStars
With PokerStars being a legal and regulated site in Michigan, there are several deposit options available for players:
- Visa/MasterCard: Visa and MasterCard branded credit and debit cards are a popular option. Simply enter the details on the card and make an immediate deposit.
- PayPal: Use this popular third-party payment company to make a deposit instantly. Many like using such companies to make gambling deposits, as you will not need to share your bank account details directly.
- Skrill: Another popular third-party payment company, much like PayPal.
- PayNearMe: This offers an ideal method if you want to make a cash deposit to your Poker Stars account. Ask for a barcoded payslip from the PokerStars team and you can make as many cash deposits as you like.
- Stars Transfer: This service can be used to make an instant transfer from your bank account to your PokerStars account with no credit card needed.
- PokerStars Play+: This is a personalized prepaid card account. To sign up for one, click on the cashier option. This card will now be linked to your PokerStars account for safe deposits and withdrawals.
- Instant eCheck: This method allows you to make secure and immediate transfers directly from your bank account to your player account via an electronic check.
- Cash at Cage: You will be able to deposit in person at the Soaring Eagle Casino in Mt. Pleasant.
In general, any withdrawals will be made back to the same deposit method you funded your account with. For example, if you deposited with PayPal, any withdrawals will go back to the same service. Exceptions will be Visa and MasterCard, Stars Transfer and PayNearMe. If you used one of these three methods, you need to find an alternative withdrawal method.
Is online poker legal in Michigan?
While live poker rooms are popular at casinos around Michigan, online poker was only recently made legal. Act HB 4311 was signed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer at the very end of 2019. A licensing process then took place via the brick-and-mortar casinos. PokerStars have partnered with the Soaring Eagle Casino, via their owners, the Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Nation.
As things stand, PokerStars is legal only in Michigan state lines. You will not be able to play against opponents from other states where PokerStars has sites, such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey. It is hoped that shared player pools will become legal across the country at some point. This would give a huge boost to the size and scope of tournaments, as well as increasing the choice of cash game tables.
Customer service at PokerStars.com
Your first step when you have a question is to visit the ‘Help’ section of the Poker Stars site. There is a search bar you can fill out to bring up relevant topics, while the ‘Most Viewed Articles’ are all displayed directly. You will also find the PokerStars Michigan Twitter feed, with the latest information and news.
If you cannot find what you need on this page, you can hit the ‘Contact Us’ button, which brings up an online form. Fill out the form with your email address, pick a category and a sub-category from the dropdown list, enter a subject and then fill out details of your problem in the large box at the bottom.
With online poker expected to soon be available to residents of Michigan, PokerStars will be a hugely popular choice. The site has a reputation as one of the leaders in online poker. Their software is world-class and the huge range of game formats available covers both recreational and experienced players.
You will have a choice of the welcome bonuses at Poker Stars Michigan, with up to $600 (matched) available over three ‘first’ deposits. After that, the Stars Rewards chest-bonuses provide a unique way of keeping your bank account topped off.
PokerStars Michigan and responsible gaming
PokerStars has the following clear mission statement when it comes to responsible gaming:
“The Stars Group strives to assist and protect players who are at risk of the potential negative effects of gambling through a number of means, including self-exclusion tools, guidance on responsible gaming, risk identification and player verification.”
The practical measures PokerStars uses for responsible gaming include setting limits, which will allow you to cap your total spend at the site, your deposits, playing time and the tournament and table buy-in limits. In more extreme cases, you can also choose the option to self-exclude.
You will also find some links for outside professional associations dedicated to responsible gaming.